Yesterday, while at the Ithaca Farmer’s Market, I bought a beautiful head of purple cabbage. I bought it for a cold salad in my mind but then remembered these two recipes. Thought I would share.
1 large onion – finely chopped
6 tablespoons oil
1 large tomato, sliced
2 teaspoons ground cumin
½ teaspoon turmeric
2 carrots, sliced in rounds
1 medium head cabbage, finely sliced
1 green bell pepper, chopped
½ cup water
Salt and pepper
- In a large shallow pan with a lid, sauté the onion in the oil over a moderate heat until it is lightly browned.
- Add the tomato, salt, spices and continue to cook for two to three minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add carrots and cook for five minutes.
- Add the cabbage and bell pepper. Mix well.
- Pour in water.
- Cover pan and simmer until all the liquid is absorbed and the vegetables are cooked.
Italian Cabbage & Bean Soup
1 teaspoon olive oil
½ cup onion, chopped
½ cup celery, chopped
½ cup carrots, sliced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 ½ cups green cabbage, shredded
1 cup tomatoes, diced with liquid
1 cup white beans, cooked
2 packets onion soup mix, prepared
1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
Freshly ground black pepper
- Place all ingredients in a large stockpot.
- Bring everything to a boil and let boil for 30 minutes or until veggies are done.
Purple Apple Slaw
½ medium head red cabbage, finely shredded
¼ cup finely minced white onion
2 Gala apples, peeled, cored and finely diced
1 cup mayonnaise
½ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons milk
- In a large serving bowl, toss together the cabbage, onion and apples.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, salt, pepper, sugar, lemon juice and milk. Pour dressing over the cabbage mixture and toss to coat.
- Chill until serving.
Purple Cabbage and Walnut Salad
Note: Original recipe called for pecans but I didn’t have any so used walnuts.
1 head cabbage, shredded
1 cup Chinese pecans (sweetened pecans)
3 scallions, chopped including the green part
½ cup vinegar (used white)
½ cup sugar
¼ cup oil (used canola)
¼ cup soy sauce
- Mix the dressing separately.
- You can make the dressing in advance.
- Just shake well and pour over the cabbage, pecans and scallions.
- Mix well to coat and serve immediately or nuts will soften.