This is a modified recipe that I received through SparkPeople. The original recipe calls for quinoa but I couldn’t find it at the local grocery. I made due with what I had on hand.
Brown Basmati Rice and Black Bean Salad
1 cup brown basmati rice
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1-1/2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
1-1/2 cups cooked corn (fresh, canned or frozen)
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
4 scallions, chopped
1 tsp. garlic, minced fine
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 cup fresh coriander leaves, chopped fine
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
1/3 cup olive oil
1. Cook basmati rice according to directions on package. This rice takes approximately 50 minutes to cook.
2. Fluff rice with a fork and transfer to a large bowl and allow to cool.
3. While rice is cooking, in a small bowl toss beans with vinegar and salt and pepper to taste.
4. Add beans, corn, bell pepper, scallions, garlic, cayenne and coriander to the rice. Toss well.
5. In a small bowl whisk together lime juice, salt, cumin and add oil in a stream while whisking. Drizzle over salad and toss well with salt and pepper. Salad may be made a day ahead and refrigerated, covered. Bring to room temperature before serving.